There is a lot of hype around “social selling“. Why has it become the big trend? and why is it important that you learn about it?
Social selling is another channel for you as a sales professional to connect with your prospect. Or I should say a few new channels. Just like any other lead generation, lead qualification, or relationship building technique, there is no silver bullet and it is a part of a much bigger process and strategy. It is important because prospects are utilizing social networks more and more to learn about new tools and techniques in order to excel at their career. Leveraging the right channel at the right time can pay off with some great leads, or even move prospects down the sales funnel. The catch? If you do not have a clear target market, value proposition, and differentiator it is not going to make any difference.
Implementing effective social selling requires that marketing, sales and customer success work together. Each utilizes social networks in a different way and could be dealing with the exact same leads, prospects, and customers. There needs to be communication in order to avoid having an individual fall through the cracks. As a sales professional your goal is to connect with prospects, set meetings, move them down the sales funnel and close deals. Here are some simple ways to get started with your social selling strategy:
- Follow your prospect’s personal and company accounts on Twitter and LinkedIn. Almost all companies have social profiles, but not every individual is active on all networks. You can learn pretty quickly who is and who isn’t active.
- Become an expert: Utilize Quora and LinkedIn forums to provide insight. Consider starting your own conversations.
- Help Don’t sell: People do not want to be sold to on social networks. They want to build relationships. Keep that in mind when sharing updates and insights. Adding valuable information to a conversation will attract more eyes than a sales pitch. Once you have identified someone who might be interested in your message send them a private message.
- Use content: Share your company’s Ebooks, blogs and videos. Sharing valuable insight while promoting your brand is a win win. Use CloseFox to generate personal leads from that shared content by capturing email addresses. Also know who is engaged with your content and know who you should follow up with.
- Make it part of your sales process: If you are going to tweet at someone don’t make it a one time occurance. Build it into your process. Maybe you want to follow your prospect before you email or call them. Maybe you want to tweet at them after you leave a voicemail. You know your process the best, so add social selling to a process that is already in place.
- Be aware of your time: Social Selling can be an enormous time suck. Consider getting help so that you can focus on one aspect of the process. Set aside some time each day to review your social selling results in order to identify real leads. Hanging out on social networks can draw you in due to the vast amount of interactions and information. Create rules for yourself so that you don’t fall into the trap of constantly checking for results. Utilize tools like Buffer, Hootsuite, and Sales Prodigy to share and monitor interactions with you message.
Social Selling is a powerful tool in your arsenal, but needs to be done efficiently or else it will draw your time away from other very important tasks. The most effective way to implement this is to work closely with your marketing team. You can identify potential customers then having marketing do some of the initial work. Allowing you to engage them once they have already interacted with your team.
CloseFox takes the guesswork out of sales followups by reading prospect minds. By simply attaching your sales collateral to your email we are able to identify which prospects to follow up with and how. Our dashboard helps sales teams know what is important to their prospects by tracking engagement and strategic data. Allowing them to follow up with the right prospect at the right time with the right message. Unlike other tools CloseFox utilizes sales documents and videos that you already use to provide prospect rankings and follow up recommendations that shorten the sales cycle.